Friday, September 9, 2016

My favorite food is pasta. I know, I can already hear the murmur of “that’s everyone’s favorite food”. But I have an unusual, unconditional love for pasta which strays beyond the mere boundaries of ‘favorite food’. I could, without a doubt, give up all other food in exchange for a bowl of pasta every meal, be it with: alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, pesto sauce, pizza sauce, tomato basil sauce, the list goes on. 

Although I have always preferred pasta over any other food, the event that pushed me over the edge was the holiday I took with my family in Italy, the home of pasta. While the brilliant pizza and sumptuous desserts did not fail to impress, the standout was the freshly crafted pasta, cooked a dozen ways that bursted with flavor. The gratification I got from enjoying a different style of some of the best pasta in the world every day, is indescribable.

One thing that is very important in the consumption of this food is the way to eat it. Simply eating the pasta is not enough. Here is the correct way to eat a bowl of any pasta:

  • Stare at the food, eating with your eyes
  • Indulge other senses by slowly inhaling the wondrous aromas
  • Slip the fork into the nearest piece, taking with it a sizable chunk of sauce
  • Build up the anticipation by observing the piece as it steadily makes it’s way towards your mouth
  • Place the piece into your mouth and feel the different textures swirling over your tongue
  • Slowly chew
  • With each bite, discover a new taste and texture 
  • Enjoy

Another engaging feature of pasta are the many different varieties that can be bought. From the classic penne, spaghetti and macaroni to the more inventive tagliatelle (the Oxford Dictionary defines it as "Pasta in long ribbons") and route (cartwheel pasta), each type of pasta comes with it’s unique twist and experience. What also makes pasta so appealing, and a household favorite, is the ease with which it can be made. Boil the pasta, make the sauce, mix together, and that’s it! 


I may try a thousand more dishes in my lifetime, or I may only try two, but pasta will always be the one that never disappoints.

1 comment:

  1. Good blog post! You did exceptionally well with the list portion of your post, in which the details do engage multiple senses. However, I believe the "dictionary definition" component is missing from your post. You could revise the post and define a specific type of pasta (tagliatelle, route), for example.

    Grade: Check

    ReplyDelete