Friday, September 23, 2016

The Making of a Meal: Lebanese-Themed Dinner Party

I am planning to have a dinner party in my dorm, following the theme of Lebanese cuisine. I chose to have a Lebanese theme as this is my favorite food, and all the dishes are inspired from my favorite restaurant in Dubai, Reem Al Bawadi. 

Shopping list: 
  • For falafel wraps: falafel bread, falafel dough, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, tahini sauce, spicy red sauce, hummus
  • For cheese bread: mozzarella cheese, halloumi cheese, yeast, butter, zaatar
  • For fattoush salad: pita breads, leaf vegetables, tomatoes, radishes
  • For spicy potatoes: Potatoes, paprika, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder
  • Extras: salt, pepper, garlic cloves, whole onions, garlic paste, soda, moroccan tea bags

Total price: $150-200
Travel cost: $40-50

First, I would make a shopping list of all the things I would need for the party (above). Then I would travel to different shops to obtain these items. For example, I would go to Whole Foods to get the vegetables and mixed greens needed. I would choose Whole Foods as they are known to have organic food that isn't modified and this is much better for your health. I would then look for a local Lebanese restaurant or food store that would sell me the more Lebanese-themed items such as halloumi cheese, zaatar and hummus. Finally, I would go to Walmart or a similar store to get the menial items such as salt, pepper etc. I would choose Walmart simply because it is cheaper and could help reduce the overall price of the party.

After returning to my dorm, I would go to the kitchen, and maybe with the help of a few friends, I would start preparing the food. I would use online recipes to make all the food, and then present it in bowls and plates to make it look artful. I would then set the table and wait for the guests to arrive. I would start with the fattoush salad, then leave the rest of the dishes on the table for everyone to take, then finish with the moroccan tea.

Reflection: I think that the most time-consuming process would be to collect all the ingredients needed to make the dishes. Following the recipe could be tricky at times but I think I would be alright as I have previous experience with following specific recipes. Also, Lebanese food is pretty simple to put together so the actual preparation wouldn't take as long, especially since I would have a few friends help me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment