Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Final Assignment Anthology: Revised Buying and Eating Local

Being from Dubai, buying and eating local produce is not something that seems natural for me, especially since not much can be grown in the dry desert. A routine trip to the grocery store would consist of buying apples from Iran, coffee from Brazil, oranges from India, and a pack of chips from the US. Even before Dubai, eating local was never encouraged in Mumbai, where buying food from other countries was a luxury and a status symbol. 

Therefore, after coming to Atlanta, my perception of buying and eating local has completely changed. From the various symbols that denote local produce to the weekly farmer’s market events, I have been convinced that home-grown food is a much better alternative to the genetically modified fruits and vegetables commonly found in supermarkets. There is something about eating a salad with juicy green lettuce and big red tomatoes grown a few miles away that really appeals to me and makes me feel fresh through the day. Even in the food court of Emory University, the salad counter consists of only local produce and it is stated proudly there.

Although I never appreciated the value of buying and eating local, being given the opportunity to try this style of eating after coming to Emory and Atlanta has opened my eyes to the great benefits that can be had from following this lifestyle, and I plan on educating my family about buying local when I go back to Dubai.

No comments:

Post a Comment